- not refined; not purified, as substances: unrefined metal.
- coarse or crude; lacking in refinement of taste, feeling, manners, language, etc.
Origin of unrefined
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. unpurified, crude, coarse. 2. unpolished, uncultured, ill-bred, rude, boorish, vulgar, gross.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for unrefined
Altogether there was something about him 18 that struck Maya as unrefined.The Adventures of Maya the Bee
Those of his kindred with whom you will associate are unrefined and mean.My Novel, Complete
To be sure, Mrs. Goodenough was a commonplace, unrefined woman.Wives and Daughters
Elizabeth Cleghorn Gaskell
Plain and unrefined as Mrs. Strong was, she had a good, generous heart.Kathie's Soldiers
Amanda Minnie Douglas
Their taste is unrefined, but they are inclined to respect grace and dignity.Saunterings in and about London
- (of substances such as petroleum, ores, and sugar) not processed into a pure or usable form
- coarse in manners or language
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for unrefined
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper