- not refined; not purified, as substances: unrefined metal.
- coarse or crude; lacking in refinement of taste, feeling, manners, language, etc.
Origin of unrefined
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. unpurified, crude, coarse. 2. unpolished, uncultured, ill-bred, rude, boorish, vulgar, gross.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for unrefined
Altogether there was something about him 18 that struck Maya as unrefined.The Adventures of Maya the Bee</p>
Those of his kindred with whom you will associate are unrefined and mean.My Novel, Complete
To be sure, Mrs. Goodenough was a commonplace, unrefined woman.Wives and Daughters</p>
Elizabeth Cleghorn Gaskell
Plain and unrefined as Mrs. Strong was, she had a good, generous heart.Kathie's Soldiers</p>
Amanda Minnie Douglas
Their taste is unrefined, but they are inclined to respect grace and dignity.Saunterings in and about London
- (of substances such as petroleum, ores, and sugar) not processed into a pure or usable form
- coarse in manners or language
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for unrefined
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper