- practicing thrift or economical management; frugal: a thrifty shopper.
- thriving, prosperous, or successful.
- thriving physically; growing vigorously.
Origin of thrifty
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. sparing, saving. See economical.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for unthrifty
Thomas Kilby was an unthrifty, and rather whimsical, gentleman.Dealings With The Dead
A Sexton of the Old School
The remainder is ragged, unthrifty sand-hills, pegged down by houses.From Sea to Sea
He was careless and unthrifty, while she was quite the reverse.
But the best 293of officials could do little to help the unthrifty king.The History of England
It would be unthrifty for the son of an innkeeper to marry a girl without a sou.A Dozen Ways Of Love
- showing thrift; economical or frugal
- rare thriving or prospering
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for unthrifty
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper