[adverb, adjective uhp-hil; noun uhp-hil]
- up or as if up the slope of a hill or other incline; upward: The soldiers marched uphill. Water does not run uphill without assistance.
- going or tending upward on or as if on a hill: an uphill road.
- at a high place or point: an uphill village.
- laboriously fatiguing or difficult: an uphill struggle to become wealthy.
- a rising terrain; ascent.
Origin of uphill
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
4. arduous, hard, strenuous, taxing, grueling.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for uphill
With national Democrats focused on defending vulnerable incumbents, Romanoff has an uphill fight.The 8 Most Competitive Congressional Races of 2014
October 28, 2014
But without a damaged Democrat, electing a Republican to federal office in Massachusetts will always be an uphill fight.The Great Gay Republican Congressional Hope of 2014 Is Dimming
September 12, 2014
Oregon will always be an uphill battle for the GOP in the near future.Koch Brothers Bail Out GOP Senate Hopeful in Oregon
August 25, 2014
Minnesota Republican Mike McFadden is facing an uphill battle to defeat incumbent Democratic Senator Al Franken in November.Republican's Ballsy Ad Features Him Getting Punched In The Crotch
July 8, 2014
Aiken will face an uphill battle aganst Ellmers, in a district since gerrymandered to be Republican-leaning.Clay Aiken’s Democratic Opponent Dies Suddenly
May 13, 2014
There was no match in the country for Peter when it came to a long, uphill chase.The Law-Breakers
He has no intention of fighting an uphill battle; he keeps the roadway of politics.Gorgias
It'll be uphill both ways from there an' we can't budge her an inch.Prairie Flowers
James B. Hendryx
It was uphill work trying to hold out for the remaining 35 runs.Follow My leader
Talbot Baines Reed
If it was downhill to the city it would be uphill coming back.The Measurement of Intelligence
Lewis Madison Terman
- inclining, sloping, or leading upwards
- requiring arduous and protracted effortan uphill task
- up an incline or slope; upwards
- against difficulties
- a rising incline; ascent
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for uphill
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper