[vahys-roi-uh l-tee, vahys-roi-]
- the dignity, office, or period of office of a viceroy.
- a country or province ruled by a viceroy.
Origin of viceroyalty
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for viceroyalty
The king conferred a new commission upon La Salle, investing him with the powers almost of viceroyalty.
But the whole of the settlements remained under the Viceroyalty of Peru.Argentina
W. A. Hirst
“He did much for us in every way” is her comment on his Viceroyalty.
She regarded his Viceroyalty almost as the beginning of the millennium.
This was the recall of Wharton from the viceroyalty of Ireland.The Cock and Anchor
Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu
- the office, authority, or dignity of a viceroy
- the domain governed by a viceroy
- the term of office of a viceroy
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012