- the action of cutting into or dissecting a living body.
- the practice of subjecting living animals to cutting operations, especially in order to advance physiological and pathological knowledge.
Origin of vivisection
Examples from the Web for vivisection
"You know my views now on the subject of vivisection," she said at last.The Beth Book
They do not know what their own opinions are, until the victim of vivisection tells them.Eugenics and Other Evils
G. K. Chesterton
At present this is mainly carried on by means of Dissection or Vivisection.Civilisation: Its Cause and Cure
Men sneered at vivisection, and yet look at its results to-day!Dracula
Vivisection was a pastime to this; this implicated the spirit, the other only the body.The Imitator
- the act or practice of performing experiments on living animals, involving cutting into or dissecting the body
Word Origin and History for vivisection
- The act or practice of cutting into or performing surgery on living animals for the purpose of scientific research.
- The practice of examining internal organs and tissues by cutting into or dissecting a living animal, especially for the purpose of scientific research.
The cutting up or dissection of animals, including anesthetized live animals, in scientific research. Vivisection is also a general term for the use of animals as subjects in laboratory experiments, especially in the development of new medical techniques and drugs.