- a cavity, usually in the lungs, containing pus.
- the pus content of such a cavity.
Origin of vomica
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for vomica
I believe it was a case of Vomica, and not a true Phthisis that was cured.An Account of the Foxglove and some of its Medical Uses
After the rupture and discharge of a Vomica also, such a remedy promises to be a powerful palliative.Experiments and Observations on Different Kinds of Air
- Profuse expectoration of putrid matter.
- An abnormal pus-containing cavity, usually in a lung, caused by deterioration of tissue.
- The pus contained in such a cavity.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.