- paper, usually with printed decorative patterns in color, for pasting on and covering the walls or ceilings of rooms, hallways, etc.
- any fabric, foil, vinyl material, etc., used as a wall or ceiling covering.
- Computers. a design or picture in the background of the primary display screen of a graphical user interface: Personalize your tablet by changing the wallpaper.
- to put wallpaper on (a wall, ceiling, etc.) or to furnish (a room, house, etc.) with wallpaper.
Origin of wallpaper
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for wallpaper
We are going to be very judicious about the use of that video, mindful that its continued use turns it into wallpaper.Should TV News Show Elliot Rodger’s ‘Retribution’ Video?
May 27, 2014
In the latest issue of Wallpaper magazine, out Friday, the glossy released details of exactly what the designer has in store.Kendall Jenner Bares Breasts at Marc Jacobs; Raf Simons Previews Home Goods Collection
The Fashion Beast Team
February 14, 2014
Public libraries, whose books have been relegated to wallpaper, have never looked better.America's Public Library Crisis: Who’s Reading the Books?
May 23, 2012
“Barack Obama is like the wallpaper of her life,” Locke says of her two-and-a-half year-old daughter.
“To her, Barack Obama is like the wallpaper of her life,” her mother said.
It never does to have it all perfect––to the last detail of the wallpaper designs.The Gorgeous Girl
In the absence of art patrons, wallpaper was his only excuse for continuing as an artist.
The Essay continued with a criticism of the current taste in wallpaper.
A break in the wallpaper showed that there was a small door here.Shapes that Haunt the Dusk
Have you ever admired the pretty patterns on wallpaper of flowers and green leaves?Mother Nature's Toy-Shop
- paper usually printed or embossed with designs for pasting onto walls and ceilings
- something pleasant but bland which serves as an unobtrusive background
- (as modifier)wallpaper music
- computing a graphics file that can be displayed in certain applications behind or around the main dialogue boxes, working display areas, etc, for decoration
- to cover (a surface) with wallpaper
Word Origin and History for wallpaper
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper