- AnthonyMad Anthony, 1745–96, American Revolutionary War general.
- JohnMarion Michael MorrisonDuke, 1907–79, U.S. film actor.
- a township in N New Jersey.
- a city in SE Michigan, near Detroit.
- a male given name: from an Old English word meaning “wagonmaker.”
Examples from the Web for wayne
As soon as Jaco [Pastorius] told me that Wayne [Shorter] would be there, I was on it right away!Herbie Hancock Holds Forth
November 8, 2014
He is currently being held without bail in a segregated area of Wayne County Correctional Facility away from other inmates.10-Year-Old Murder Defendant Shows Failure of U.S. Juvenile Justice System
October 18, 2014
It is a seedy downtown Detroit place, near Wayne State University.Elmore Leonard’s Rocky Road to Fame and Fortune
September 13, 2014
Beside the mug shot of McCollum was one of a man named Wayne Laws.How the North Carolina GOP Made a Wrongfully Convicted Man a Death Row Scapegoat
September 4, 2014
“Wayne will be doing the Ice Bucket Challenge for ALS,” the spokesman told Business Insider.Ice Bucket Challenge Leads to Political Trolling
August 21, 2014
Wayne is suspected of killing his brother after a violent quarrel.The Duke Of Chimney Butte
G. W. Ogden
Did Miss Wayne say something about your having an interest in her house on the Battery?
"The boy is fine and honorable and manful, Wayne," said the old lawyer.
All of Miss Wayne's dimples sprang to their places and stood at attention.
In the centre Wayne and Buck were engaged, stubborn and confused.The Napoleon of Notting Hill
Gilbert K. Chesterton
- John, real name Marion Michael Morrison. 1907–79, US film actor, noted esp for his many Westerns, which include Stagecoach (1939), The Alamo (1960), and True Grit (1969), for which he won an Oscar
Word Origin and History for wayne
surname, by 1319, variant of Wain, representing wainwright, wainer (see wain) or perhaps "one who dwells by the tavern with the sign of the wain."