- the sale of goods in quantity, as to retailers or jobbers, for resale (opposed to retail).
- of, relating to, or engaged in sale by wholesale.
- extensive; broadly indiscriminate: wholesale discharge of workers.
- in a wholesale way; on wholesale terms: I can get it for you wholesale.
- in large quantities; on a large scale, especially without discrimination: Wild horses were slaughtered wholesale.
- to sell by wholesale.
Origin of wholesale
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
3. far-reaching, comprehensive, thorough, inclusive; undiscriminating, promiscuous.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for wholesaler
They then phone the wholesaler to learn the name of the retailer.
So ATF clerks have to begin by telephoning the manufacturer to learn the name of the wholesaler.
Then they have to get the wholesaler on the line and find out which dealer purchased the gun from the wholesaler.
They first have to call the gun manufacturer and find out which wholesaler purchased it.
These wines are sold at steep discounts to a wholesaler who repackages the wine.How Wine Became Like Fast Food
November 3, 2009
The same can be said of the margins between the wholesaler and the consumer.Herbert Hoover
The wholesaler must know the character of the retailer to whom he extends credit.The Root of Evil
The wholesaler has to be a bureau of information concerning this part of his business.The Building of a Book
He didn't always wait for the wholesaler to start the boostin', either.The House of Torchy
Traveling salesman for a St. Paul wholesaler, for a Chicago clothing-house.The Job
- the business of selling goods to retailers in larger quantities than they are sold to final consumers but in smaller quantities than they are purchased from manufacturersCompare retail (def. 1)
- at wholesale
- in large quantities
- at wholesale prices
- of, relating to, or engaged in such business
- made, done, etc, on a large scale or without discrimination
- on a large scale or without discrimination
- to sell (goods) at wholesale
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for wholesaler
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
The sale of merchandise to retailers rather than directly to the public.
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.