[woo m-uh n-lee]
- like or befitting a woman; feminine; not masculine or girlish.
- in the manner of, or befitting, a woman.
Origin of womanly
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
2. Womanly, womanlike, womanish mean having the traits or qualities that a culture regards as especially characteristic of or ideally appropriate to adult women. Womanly is usually a term of approval, suggesting the display of traits admired by the society, such as self-possession, modesty, motherliness, and calm competence: a womanly consideration for others; with womanly skill and efficiency. Womanlike may be a neutral synonym for womanly, or it may suggest mild disapproval: a womanlike dignity; womanlike tears and recriminations. Womanish is usually disparaging; applied to women it suggests traits not generally socially approved: a womanish petulance; womanish disregard for the rules. Applied to men it suggests traits culturally deemed inappropriate for men and (in what is now often regarded as a sexist notion) to be found in women: a womanish shrillness in his speech; a womanish way of stamping his foot in anger. See also female.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for womanliness
But she had lost none of her womanliness; rather, the contrary.The Octopus
She was such a child as she stood there, yet with something in her, too, of womanliness.Mistress Anne
She has been aroused to remember that womanliness is not chiefly decorative.Creative Unity
In Iris' voice was a womanliness which showed his story had reached the depths of her being.Afterwards
But to express the graces and endowments of a woman, it is her womanliness that is emphasized.Social Life
Maud C. Cooke
- possessing qualities, such as warmth, attractiveness, etc, generally regarded as typical of a woman, esp a mature woman
- characteristic of or belonging to a woman
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012