- of or relating to this world as contrasted with heaven, spiritual life, etc.; earthly; mundane.
- experienced; knowing; sophisticated: the benefits of his worldly wisdom.
- devoted to, directed toward, or connected with the affairs, interests, or pleasures of this world.
- of or relating to the people or laity; secular; neither ecclesiastical nor religious.
- Obsolete. of, relating to, or existing on earth.
- in a worldly manner (archaic except in combination): worldly-wise; worldly-minded.
Origin of worldly
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. temporal. See earthly. 2. urbane, cosmopolitan.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for worldliness
Michelle King: But her worldliness or pragmatism, it's not as though it's being led by what Peter and his campaign are doing.
Carl is repaid for his worldliness with failure and ignominy.American Dreams: ‘O Pioneers!’ by Willa Cather
February 27, 2013
But there is one place where judging Almodóvar objectively is not seen as an affront to worldliness: Spain.Is Pedro Almodóvar a Fraud?
January 14, 2010
I hurt you when I say that, but I want you to be my good friend, as always, in spite of my worldliness.Patchwork
Anna Balmer Myers
This worldliness was not frivolous, but earnest, and was ennobled by art and poetry.The Civilisation of the Renaissance in Italy
The worldliness and the wretchedness, and now it is too late!
His indolence, his triviality, his worldliness become her own.
Worldliness it changes into heathenism, vice into blasphemy.Natural Law in the Spiritual World
- not spiritual; mundane or temporal
- Also: worldly-minded absorbed in or concerned with material things or matters that are immediately relevant
- Also: worldly-wise versed in the ways of the world; sophisticated
- archaic existing on or relating to the earth
- obsolete secular; lay
- archaic in a worldly manner
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for worldliness
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper