[zahy, sahy; Greek ksee]
- the 14th letter of the Greek alphabet (Ξ, ξ).
- the group of consonant sounds represented by this letter.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for xis
It is not thinkable, and yet the like of it happened to xis in Seville from our manager.Familiar Spanish Travels
W. D. Howells
- the 14th letter in the Greek alphabet (Ξ, ξ), a composite consonant, transliterated as x
Hsi or Si
- a river in S China, rising in Yunnan province and flowing east to the Canton delta on the South China Sea: the main river system of S China. Length: about 1900 km (1200 miles)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for xis
fourteenth letter of the Greek alphabet.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
(zī, sī, ksē)
- The 14th letter of the Greek alphabet.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.