- to bark sharply, shrilly, or snappishly; yelp.
- Slang. to talk shrilly, noisily, or foolishly.
- to utter by yapping.
- a sharp, shrill, or snappish bark; yelp.
- shrill, noisy, or foolish talk.
- the mouth: Keep your yap shut.
- Slang. an uncouth or stupid person; bumpkin; fool.
Origin of yap
Examples from the Web for yapping
His little dogs greeted him, yapping and licking, climbing up the front of his bathrobe.The Strange and Mysterious Death of Mrs. Jerry Lee Lewis
Richard Ben Cramer
January 11, 2014
She opened the front door and spoke over the yapping of her schnauzer.Jersey’s True-Life Tony Soprano: Meet the DeCavalcante Crime Family
June 21, 2013
If David is a yapping terrier, Pete is an addled golden retriever.‘Family Tree’ Brings Christopher Guest’s Mockumentary Style to HBO
May 8, 2013
Earlier this week William said that the yapping of the Queen's corgis drives him nuts.Queen Has Harry Potter Litter, Dog Named Gryffindor
May 24, 2012
Heneage took no more notice of him than he would of a yapping terrier.The Avenger
E. Phillips Oppenheim
Then I laughed as I heard their yapping, and grumbling, and questioning what had become of me.Sir Ludar
Talbot Baines Reed
The yapping and barking of the wolves fell upon an unhearing ear.The Eyes of the Woods
Joseph A. Altsheler
He was running and yapping all day and pretty nearly all night.The Girls of Central High in Camp
Gertrude W. Morrison
He saw concentric circles of fists and snow and a yapping dog.Jimsy
- (of a dog) to bark in quick sharp bursts; yelp
- informal to talk at length in an annoying or stupid way; jabber
- a high-pitched or sharp bark; yelp
- slang annoying or stupid speech; jabber
- slang a derogatory word for mouth
- (usually reiterated) an imitation or representation of the sound of a dog yapping or people jabbering
- a group of four main islands in the W Pacific, in the W Caroline Islands: administratively a district of the US Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands from 1947; became self-governing in 1979 as part of the Federated States of Micronesia; important Japanese naval base in World War II. Pop: 11 647 (2006 est). Area: 101 sq km (39 sq miles)
Word Origin and History for yapping
c.1600, probably of imitative origin. Originally in reference to dog sounds; meaning "to talk idle chatter" is first recorded 1886. Related: Yapped; yapping.