See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com noun, plural (especially collectively) yel·low jack, (especially referring to two or more kinds or species) yel·low jacks for 3.
- Informal. quarantine flag.
- Pathology. yellow fever.
- any carangoid fish, especially a Caribbean food fish, Caranx bartholomaei.
Origin of yellow jack
An Americanism dating back to 1830–40
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for yellow jack
Yellow-Jack laid his hand on him, and before morning he was dead!
We was twenty-four men down on the Ohio with yellow-jack, and not an ounce of anyskeptics did I swallow!
British Dictionary definitions for yellow jack
- pathol another name for yellow fever
- another name for quarantine flag
- any of certain large yellowish carangid food fishes, esp Caranx bartholomaei, of warm and tropical Atlantic waters
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition
© William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012