- of the condition or rank of a yeoman.
- pertaining to or befitting a yeoman; loyal, staunch, sturdy, etc.
- like or as befits a yeoman.
Origin of yeomanly
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for yeomanly
I warrant you he's as yeomanly a man as you shall see; mark you, masters, here's a plain honest man without welt or guard.History of English Humour, Vol. 1 (of 2)
Alfred Guy Kingan L'Estrange
- of, relating to, or like a yeoman
- having the virtues attributed to yeomen, such as staunchness, loyalty, and courage
- in a yeomanly manner, as in being brave, staunch, or loyal
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012