- the sixth letter of the Greek alphabet (Z, ζ).
- the consonant sound represented by this letter.
Origin of zeta
First recorded in 1820–30, zeta is from the Greek word zêta
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for zeta
A handwritten sign said she was killed for reporting to a website where locals shared information on Zeta threats and movements.
Local papers avoid crime news and are infiltrated by Zeta informants (as previous cartels have done before them).
It seemed to him but an insignificant island, and he called it Zeta.
You will find it on the map between the stars Eta (η) and Zeta (ζ).Astronomy with an Opera-glass
Garrett Putman Serviss
Zeta, the other of the two stars that form the little triangle with Vega, is also a fine double star.Astronomy for Young Folks
Isabel Martin Lewis
The first double star, Zeta Ursæ Majoris, was discovered 250 years ago.The Royal Observatory Greenwich</p>
E. Walter (Edwared Walter) Maunder
He was on friendly terms with the "Ban," or governor, of Bosnia, and with his assistance he added Zeta to his possessions.The Birth of Yugoslavia, Volume 1
- the sixth letter in the Greek alphabet (Ζ, ζ), a consonant, transliterated as z
from Greek, of Semitic origin; compare Hebrew sādhē
- (foll by the genitive case of a specified constellation) the sixth brightest star in a constellationZeta Tauri
- a torus-shaped apparatus used for research in the 1950s and early 1960s on controlled thermonuclear reactions and plasma physics
C20: from z (ero-) e (nergy) t (hermonuclear) a (pparatus)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for zeta
Greek letter, see zed.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- The sixth letter of the Greek alphabet.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.