- a brother.
- a male friend or buddy.
- a guy or fellow: used as a term of address.
- a fellow black male; soul brother.
- a young, usually white male variously and often negatively characterized as being preppy, party-loving, egotistical, sexist, etc.
- of or relating to bros: the bro culture of college athletics.
Sometimes bruh [bruh] /brʌ/, brah [brah] /brɑ/.
Origin of bro
First recorded in 1830–40; reduced form of brother
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- NZ a family member
- a close associate
bra or bru
- Southern African informal a friend, often used in direct address
Word Origin for bro
C20: from Afrikaans broer brother
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for bros.
colloquial abbreviation of brother, attested from 1660s.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper