[ey lev-uh l]
- a public examination requiring advanced knowledge in a subject and taken at the end of secondary school, usually two years after O level.
- a pass in this examination.
Origin of A level
1950–55; A(dvanced) level
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for a level
Detention Bramm S Blake F Morty Hailey Y Jordan A Kara B Mathematics – A-level standard.How Accurate is This Math?
March 4, 2013
- a public examination in a subject taken for the General Certificate of Education (GCE), usually at the age of 17–18
- the course leading to this examination
- (as modifier)A-level maths
- a pass in a particular subject at A levelshe has three A levels
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012