- basaltic lava having a rough surface.
Origin of aa
- a proportional shoe width size, narrower than A and wider than AAA.
- the smallest proportional brassiere cup size.
- a quality rating for a corporate or municipal bond, lower than AAA and higher than A.
- Electricity. a battery size for 1.5 volt dry cells: diameter, 0.6 inches (1.4 cm); length, 2 inches (5 cm).
- British. a designation for motion pictures certified as unsuitable for children under 14 unless accompanied by an adult.Compare A(def 11), U(def 6), X(def 9).
- (in prescriptions) ana2.
Origin of a̅a̅
Examples from the Web for aa
Contemporary Examples of aa
Each word, from aa to za, gets its own two-page spread with a poem and a pic.Well, La Ti Da: Stephin Merritt’s Winning Little Words of Scrabble
October 11, 2014
A copy of AA Today, an Alcoholics Anonymous publication, rested atop the bureau.Football Great Bob Suffridge Wanders Through the End Zone of Life
September 6, 2014
Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) has operated in Tehran for a number of years.Iran’s Drinking Problem
August 16, 2014
He was raised by hippies and accompanied his father, a heroin addict, to AA meetings.Shia LaBeouf’s Most Gangsta Move Yet: Getting Hauled Off In Handcuffs During Broadway’s ‘Cabaret’
June 27, 2014
Refuge Recovery is a lot like an AA meeting minus mentions of Him, God, or a higher Power.The Buddhist Punk Reforming Drug Rehab
June 16, 2014
Historical Examples of aa
Lasst Midsummer Day aa was on t' Shanmoor road, i' t' gloaming.Robert Elsmere
Mrs. Humphry Ward
IT is very difficult to give an all-round impression of aa man.The Good Soldier
Ford Madox Ford
II was dreaming that I was caught in a trap, aa mousetrap, I think it was.
There were the footprints of the gamekeeper from A to his lodge at AA.The Canterbury Puzzles
Henry Ernest Dudeney
But ther, you be 'ungry, and you aan't 'ad nothin' to ait for a long time.The Birthright
- a volcanic rock consisting of angular blocks of lava with a very rough surface
Word Origin for aa
- ana 1
- Alcoholics Anonymous
- Architectural Association
- (in Britain) Automobile Association
- (in Britain) Advertising Association
- (in Britain, formerly) a film that may not be shown publicly to a child under fourteen
also AA, abbreviation of Alcoholics Anonymous, attested by 1941, American English. The group name was the title of a book published in 1938 by the founder, Bill W.
- Alcoholics Anonymous
- amino acid
- A type of lava having a rough, jagged surface. It is relatively slow moving in its molten state, advancing in the form of massive blocks with fissured and angular surfaces that ride on a viscous interior. The blocks range in size between the size of a football and the size of a house. See Note at pahoehoe.