- a female day name for Thursday.See under day name.
- a title of reverence for bishops and patriarchs in the Coptic, Ethiopian Christian, and Syriac churches.
- New Testament. an Aramaic word for father, used by Jesus and Paul to address God in a relation of personal intimacy.
Origin of Abba2
- a coarse, felted fabric woven of camel's or goat's hair.
- a loose, sleeveless outer garment made of this fabric or of silk, worn by Arabs.
Origin of aba
- (formerly, especially in creole-speaking cultures) a name given at birth to a black child, in accordance with African customs, indicating the child's sex and the day of the week on which he or she was born, as the male and female names for Sunday (Quashee and Quasheba), Monday (Cudjo or Cudjoe and Juba), Tuesday (Cubbena and Beneba), Wednesday (Quaco and Cuba or Cubba), Thursday (Quao and Abba), Friday (Cuffee or Cuffy and Pheba or Phibbi), and Saturday (Quamin or Quame and Mimba).
Related Words for abbasadministrator, pontiff, pope, cleric, patriarch, director, priest, prelate, angel, metropolitan, primate, cap, coadjutor, overseer, diocesan, suffragan, archer, mitre, miter, berretta
Examples from the Web for abbas
Contemporary Examples of abbas
So here we are with Abbas being the only one of three parties to this conflict still fighting for a two-state solution.In the Middle East, the Two-State Solution Is Dead
January 2, 2015
As President Abbas said, the table has all the options on it, yes, but almost none of them are good.Palestinian Cabinet Member Dies in Confrontation with Israeli Soldier
December 10, 2014
Abbas has been committed—quite unsuccessfully, but nevertheless committed—to nonviolence.After the Israel Synagogue Massacre: A New Intifada?
November 19, 2014
Abbas al-Saadi is a soldier and by rights he should be stationed near Tikrit, where his unit is involved fighting ISIS.Iraqi Soldiers Bribe Officers So They Don't Have to Fight ISIS
October 8, 2014
When Abbas began talks last month to form a unity government with Hamas, the Israelis saw the move as a provocation.Israeli Intel Chief: Hamas Is Just Like ISIS
July 1, 2014
Historical Examples of abbas
In the Persian tongue, Abbas signifieth “the father of the people.”The Poetical Works of William Collins
We need not say that Abbas Khan and Zra were to accompany her.
There was no change whatever in the situation of Abbas Khan and Zra.
"It may be the cavalier who led the assault," said Abbas Khan.
"The difficulty, then, lies with the Queen and Abbas Khan," said the general.
- Ferhat. 1899–1985, Algerian nationalist leader: joined the National Liberation Front (1956); president of the provisional government of the Algerian republic (1958–61)
- a type of cloth from Syria, made of goat hair or camel hair
- a sleeveless outer garment of such cloth
Word Origin for aba
- (in Britain) Amateur Boxing Association
- American Booksellers Association
- Swedish pop group (1972–82): comprised Benny Andersson (born 1946), Agnetha Faltskog (born 1950), Anni-Frid Lyngstad (born 1945), and Bjorn Ulvaeus (born 1945); numerous hit singles included "Waterloo" (1974), "Dancing Queen" (1977), and "The Winner Takes It All" (1980)
- New Testament father (used of God)
- a title given to bishops and patriarchs in the Syrian, Coptic, and Ethiopian Churches
Word Origin for Abba
- Western African a name indicating a person's day of birth
Word Origin and History for abbas
Swedish pop music group formed 1972, the name dates from 1973 and is an acronym from the first names of the four band members: Anni-Frid Lyngstad, Björn Ulvaeus, Benny Andersson, Agnetha Fältskog.
title of honor, from Latin abba, from Greek abba, from Aramaic abba "the father, my father," emphatic of abh "father."