- a cleansing with water or other liquid, especially as a religious ritual.
- the liquid thus used.
- Usually ablutions. a washing of the hands, body, etc.
Origin of ablution
Examples from the Web for ablution
Historical Examples of ablution
"There ain't any ablution in the house," said the mystified Hannah.Paul Prescott's Charge
This ablution made him clean, but did not bring back his ruddy color.Put Yourself in His Place
An ablution is a washing or cleansing; especially a religious rite.Orthography
Elmer W. Cavins
The evening had come, it was time to perform the evening's ablution.Siddhartha
Our morning ablution had to be performed with cold water and soft soap.Glimpses into the Abyss
- the ritual washing of a priest's hands or of sacred vessels
- (often plural) the act of washing (esp in the phrase perform one's ablutions)
- (plural) military informal a washing place