- of, relating to, or typical of aborigines: aboriginal customs.
- original or earliest known; native; indigenous: the aboriginal people of Tahiti.
Origin of aboriginal
SynonymsSee more synonyms for aboriginal on Thesaurus.com
2. endemic, autochthonous, primordial.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for aboriginality
- the state of being Aboriginal, esp with regard to having a common Aboriginal culture
- existing in a place from the earliest known period; indigenous; autochthonous
- of, relating to, or characteristic of the indigenous peoples of Australia
- another word for an Australian Aborigine
The Australian government suggests that the most exact and inclusive way of referring to the indigenous peoples of Australia is Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples . Other terms which are acceptable are: Aboriginal people(s), Australian Aboriginals and Torres Strait Islanders
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for aboriginality
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper