- being without cells.
- composed of tissue not divided into separate cells, as striated muscle fibers.
Origin of acellular
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for acellular
Contemporary Examples of acellular
They note that the acellular vaccine does not offer as long-lasting protection as the old whole-cell versions did.Ignore the Fear Mongering: Whooping Cough Vaccine Works
February 22, 2013
- biology not made up of or containing cells
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Containing no cells; not made of cells.
- Devoid of cells; noncellular.
- Of or relating to unicellular organisms that do not become multicellular and are complete within a single cell unit.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- Devoid of cells. The hyphae of some fungi are acellular.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.