- not centered; having no center.
- Genetics. of or relating to a chromosome or chromatid that lacks a centromere.
Origin of acentric
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for acentric
Historical Examples of acentric
If the propulsive action does not pass through the centre of gravity the system again becomes "acentric."The Theory and Practice of Model Aeroplaning
V. E. Johnson
- without a centre
- not on centre; eccentric
- genetics (of a chromosome or chromosome fragment) lacking a centromere
- an acentric chromosome or fragment
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Having no center.
- Not located in the center.
- Of or relating to a chromosome fragment lacking a centromere.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.