- an act of acknowledging.
- recognition of the existence or truth of something: the acknowledgment of a sovereign power.
- an expression of appreciation.
- a thing done or given in appreciation or gratitude.
- a declaration before an official that one has executed a particular legal document.
- an official certificate of a formal acknowledging.
- public recognition by a man of an illegitimate child as his own.
Origin of acknowledgment
Related Words for acknowledgmentconfirmation, corroboration, admission, confession, assent, assertion, affirmation, realization, acceptance, concession, recognition, gratitude, reaction, apology, appreciation, response, compliance, concurrence, acquiescence, profession
Examples from the Web for acknowledgment
Contemporary Examples of acknowledgment
The acknowledgment of these crimes, which came as part of an amnesty for them, was a cathartic moment for El Salvador.Bringing El Salvador Nun Killers to Justice
November 10, 2014
All Cumming wanted to hear his father say was an acknowledgment of what he had thought all those years was wrong.Alan Cumming: The Truth About My Father
October 14, 2014
It was good information on who, what, and where and there was an acknowledgment of this at the highest levels.Exclusive: U.S. Special Ops Readied Syria Attack in June
October 2, 2014
He would never deign me with any sort of acknowledgment, because I was too low on the totem pole.Chloe Sevigny on ‘The Cosmopolitans,’ New York’s Frat Boy Takeover, and ‘Asshole’ Michael Alig
August 24, 2014
She wanted more from him, some acknowledgment of feeling, but he gave her nothing.Juan Pablo Chooses the Girl He ‘Likes,’ Proposes They Go Get a Burger
March 11, 2014
Historical Examples of acknowledgment
If Robert possessed his acknowledgment he would have no defense to make.Brave and Bold
And, in your turn, you will now have to pardon me, for I have an acknowledgment to make to you.The Dream
Had she said, 'the Son of Abraham,' she had not come home to this acknowledgment.Female Scripture Biographies, Vol. II
Francis Augustus Cox
Giving him a dark glance in acknowledgment of his answer, Rigaud knocked loudly.Little Dorrit
It is doubtful if there was any shame in him at the acknowledgment.The Law-Breakers
- the act of acknowledging or state of being acknowledged
- something done or given as an expression of thanks, as a reply to a message, etc
- (plural) an author's statement acknowledging his use of the works of other authors, usually printed at the front of a book
alternative form of acknowledgement. OED deems it "a spelling more in accordance with Eng. values of letters."