- a city in and the capital of South Australia, in Australia.
- a female given name: from a Germanic word meaning “nobility.”
- a state in S Australia. 380,070 sq. mi. (984,380 sq. km). Capital: Adelaide.
Examples from the Web for adelaide
Contemporary Examples of adelaide
Charlotte Marshall, a privately practicing clinical psychologist in Adelaide, South Australia echoed Harper.The Movement for Patient Access to Doctors’ Notes Is Growing
June 2, 2014
Adelaide isn't just a doll letting things happen to her, she's a complicated and centered character with a lot at stake.New York’s Greatest Show Or How They Did Not Screw Up ‘Guys and Dolls’
April 6, 2014
They are, from left to right, Perth (bottom left corner), Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney, and Brisbane.Australia's Ominously Bright Night Sky
December 10, 2012
Adelaide (Jamie Brewer) on American Horror Story, episode 104, “Halloween Part 1”
Adelaide, who just wanted to be a pretty girl, deserved so much better than life gave her.
Historical Examples of adelaide
I will take you all right through to Adelaide;' and I always obey him.
Mr. Forrest had passed through Adelaide one day before his arrival.
The preparations for our reception at Adelaide were most elaborate.
Their triumphal entry into Adelaide was a demonstration worthy of a prince.
Probably all of you have read of our enthusiastic reception at Adelaide.
- the capital of South Australia: Port Adelaide, 11 km (7 miles) away on St Vincent Gulf, handles the bulk of exports. Pop: 1 002 127 (2001)
- a state of S central Australia, on the Great Australian Bight: generally arid, with the Great Victoria Desert in the west central part, the Lake Eyre basin in the northeast, and the Flinders Ranges, Murray River basin, and salt lakes in the southeast. Capital: Adelaide. Pop: 1 531 375 (2003 est). Area: 984 395 sq km 380 070 (sq miles)