[ad-hee-siv, -ziv]See more synonyms for adhesive on Thesaurus.com
- coated with glue, paste, mastic, or other sticky substance: adhesive bandages.
- sticking fast; sticky; clinging.
- Physics. of or relating to the molecular force that exists in the area of contact between unlike bodies and that acts to unite them.
Related formsad·he·sive·ly, adverbad·he·sive·ness, nounnon·ad·he·sive, adjectivenon·ad·he·sive·ly, adverbnon·ad·he·sive·ness, nounsem·i·ad·he·sive, adjectivesem·i·ad·he·sive·ly, adverbsem·i·ad·he·sive·ness, nounun·ad·he·sive, adjectiveun·ad·he·sive·ly, adverbun·ad·he·sive·ness, noun
- a substance that causes something to adhere, as glue or rubber cement.
- adhesive tape.
- Philately. a postage stamp with a gummed back, as distinguished from one embossed or printed on an envelope or card.
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
British Dictionary definitions for adhesively
- able or designed to adhere; stickyadhesive tape
- tenacious or clinging
Derived Formsadhesively, adverbadhesiveness, noun
- a substance used for sticking objects together, such as glue, cement, or paste
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition
© William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for adhesively
1660s, from French adhésif, formed in French from Latin adhaes-, past participle stem of adhaere (see adherent).
1881, from adhesive (adj.). Originally of postage stamps (adhesive stamp is attested from 1840). Of substances that cause to adhere by 1900.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Tending to adhere; sticky.
- Of, relating to, or having the characteristics of an adhesion.
- A substance that adheres to a surface or causes adherence between surfaces.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary
Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- A substance, such as paste or cement, that causes two surfaces to stick together. Adhesives are made of gelatin or other substances, such as epoxy, resin, or polyethylene.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary
Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.