- related or very close to a specified topic, activity, etc.: While the comment was not outright racist, it was racist-adjacent.
- supporting or being an ally of a group or subculture without being a part of it: She describes herself as queer-adjacent.
- having the traits or interests of a group or subculture without being a part of it: Are they full-on geeks or just nerd-adjacent?
QUIZ YOURSELF ON THE 12 TYPES OF VERB TENSES!
Origin of adjacent
synonym study for adjacent
OTHER WORDS FROM adjacent
How to use adjacent in a sentence
When it was time to board, it turned out our seats were adjacent.Familiar Fauci anecdotes, told with a Brooklyn accent|Amy Goldstein|October 30, 2020|Washington Post
For its part, the GOP has done little to distance itself from its QAnon-adjacent candidates, instead rejecting the fact that multiple Republican candidates for Congress have links to the group.QAnon Isn’t Going To Take Over Congress In 2020. But It’s Found A Home In The GOP.|Kaleigh Rogers (firstname.lastname@example.org)|October 29, 2020|FiveThirtyEight
Two years ago, the spacecraft finally reached its target of the carbon-rich, Earth-adjacent asteroid Bennu.Watch live as the OSIRIS-REx spacecraft snags a chunk of asteroid|Rachael Zisk|October 20, 2020|Popular Science
“Windows on two adjacent walls works, too, but not as well as windows directly across from each other,” Davies Wykes explains.Changing climates can take cooling tips from warm regions|Sharon Oosthoek|October 8, 2020|Science News For Students
Add that to the projected 8,000 housing units planned for the adjacent Navwar site, where the city is planning a new transit hub, and you have the potential to make a real impact on our region’s housing shortage.Raise Expectations for the Midway District by Raising the Height Limit|Jack Carpenter|October 5, 2020|Voice of San Diego
Adjacently, on the upper reaches of Broadway, Ma Tamby was shopping.The Paliser case|Edgar Saltus
British Dictionary definitions for adjacent
- (of a pair of vertices in a graph) joined by a common edge
- (of a pair of edges in a graph) meeting at a common vertex