- a native or inhabitant of Africa.
- (loosely) a black or other person of African ancestry.
Origin of African
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- denoting or relating to Africa or any of its peoples, languages, nations, etc
- a native, inhabitant, or citizen of any of the countries of Africa
- a member or descendant of any of the peoples of Africa, esp a Black person
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for africanness'
Old English Africanas (plural), from Latin Africanus (adj.), from Africa (see Africa). Used of white residents of Africa from 1815; of black residents of the U.S. from 1790. As an adjective, by 1560s.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper