- Carl (Bert),1908–2000, U.S. politician: Speaker of the House 1971–77.
- PrinceAlbert Francis Charles Augustus Emanuel, Prince of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, 1819–61, consort of Queen Victoria.
- Lake. Also called Albert Nyanza, Mobuto Lake. a lake in central Africa, between Uganda and the Democratic Republic of the Congo: a source of the Nile. 100 miles (160 km) long; 2061 sq. mi. (5338 sq. km); 2030 feet (619 meters) above sea level.Official name Lake Mobutu Sese Seko.
- a male given name: from Old High German words meaning “noble” and “bright.”
- 1875–1934, king of the Belgians 1909–34.
- 1397–1439, king of Germany and emperor of the Holy Roman Empire 1438–39.
- Eu·gen [oi-geyn] /ɔɪˈgeɪn/ (or Eugene) Francis Charles. Albert, d', Eugen (or Eugene) Francis Charles.
- Eu·gen [German oi-geyn] /German ɔɪˈgeɪn/or Eu·gène [French œ-zhen] /French œˈʒɛn/Francis Charles,1864–1932, German-French pianist and composer, born in Scotland.
Examples from the Web for albert
Contemporary Examples of albert
Efforts to resuscitate her failed and she was pronounced dead at nearby Albert Einstein Medical Center.The Mystery Death Of A Female Firefighter
December 13, 2014
DNA tests were used to confirm Albert's status as father in both cases, following protracted legal battles.Princess Charlene Gives Birth To Twins Gabriella and Jacques
December 10, 2014
And The Prize Is Death, a cartoon by Albert Levering, attacks an epidemic of reckless driving.The Magazine That Made—and Unmade—Politicians
November 2, 2014
Umberto, who went by Albert, oversaw mob killings during his reign in the mid-1900s.Brooklyn’s Gangster Graveyard
October 23, 2014
Another island tale purports that there was once a banquet arranged at the manor for Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.The Crazy Medieval Island of Sark
October 4, 2014
Historical Examples of albert
I saw you this evening at the Albert Hall, and you stared at me!The Foolish Lovers
St. John G. Ervine
He was a Belgian, named Albert Wirbyn, twenty-five years of age.My Double Life
That is what you say: that is what Albert Barnes affirms in his philosophy.
What if we may then choose between Albert Barnes's philosophy and God's truth?
Dost thou know, Albert Barnes, what I mean by that word, in the flesh?
- a kind of watch chain usually attached to a waistcoat
- British a standard size of notepaper, 6 × 3 7/8 inches
Word Origin for albert
- Lake Albert a lake in E Africa, between the Democratic Republic of Congo (formerly Zaïre) and Uganda in the great Rift Valley, 660 m (2200 ft) above sea level: a source of the Nile, fed by the Victoria Nile, which leaves as the Albert Nile. Area: 5345 sqkm (2064 sq miles)Former name: Lake Mobutu
- Prince. full name Albert Francis Charles Augustus Emmanuel of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. 1819–61, Prince Consort of Queen Victoria of Great Britain and Ireland
- c. 1255–1308, king of Germany (1298–1308)
- 1875–1934, king of the Belgians (1909–34)
- called Albert the Bear. c. 1100–70. German military leader: first margrave of Brandenburg
- full name Albert Felix Humbert Theodore Christian Eugene Marie . born 1934, king of Belgium (1993–2013); abdicated in favour of his son Philippe
masc. proper name, from German (the French form is Aubert), from Old High German Adalbert, cognate of Old English Æþelbeorht "Noble-bright" (which was sometimes metathesized as Æþelbriht, hence the surname Albright). Second element is from Proto-Germanic berhta- "bright," from PIE *bhereg- "to shine; bright, white" (see bright). It also figures in the names Egbert, Gilbert, Herbert, Hubert, Lambert. As a kind of watch chain, from 1861 (see Prince Albert).