- (formerly) a doctor specializing in the treatment of mental illness.
- an expert witness in a sanity trial.
Origin of alienist
Examples from the Web for alienist
Historical Examples of alienist
Why might not Allonby have deceived him as to the alienist's diagnosis?
The English poet's plays are a perfect storehouse of examples for the alienist.Iconoclasts
To the alienist and the criminal anthropologist it is a social pathology.
No doctor, no alienist, would have pronounced him mad, of course.The Brightener
C. N. Williamson
I feel that she is likely to get an alienist in at any time.Outside Inn
Ethel M. Kelley
- US a psychiatrist who specializes in the legal aspects of mental illness
- obsolete a person who practises alienism
"one who treats mental illness, 'mad doctor,' " 1864, from French aliéniste, from alienation in the sense of "insanity, loss of mental faculty," a sense attested in English from late 15c. (see alienate).
- A physician accepted by a court of law as an expert on the mental competence of principals or witnesses.