- the act of proceeding to the reading table in a synagogue for the reading of a portion from the Torah.
- the immigration of Jews to Israel, either as individuals or in groups.
- any of the major waves of Jewish immigration to Palestine or Israel.
Origin of aliyah
Examples from the Web for aliyah
Contemporary Examples of aliyah
Which is way, way higher than the French aliyah numbers of any recent year.
Yes, the CNN report is right—both French aliyah numbers and reports of anti-Semitic violence are on the rise.
But Aliyah was seized by the same impulse that would grab Heaven, and she leapt up to seek the sanctuary of home.Obama Must Speak Out on Chicago Carnage That Kills Too Many Kids
June 29, 2012
Aliyah jumped up as if to flee back into the house, then collapsed.Chicago Gang Shootings Spike as the City Tries to Cope
April 17, 2012
- (aliˈja) plural -yoth (-ˈjɒt) immigration to the Holy Land
- (əˈliːə) the honour of being called to read from the Torah