- same difference,
- same here,
- same old story, the,
- same to you,
- notwithstanding; nevertheless: You don't have to go but we wish you would, all the same.
- of no difference; immaterial: It's all the same to me whether our team loses or wins.
- in the same manner.
- nevertheless: It was a success, but it could easily have failed, just the same.
Origin of same
adjective the same
- being the one previously referred to; aforesaid
- (as noun)a note received about same
- identical in kind, quantity, etctwo girls of the same age
- (as noun)we'd like the same, please
- Also: just the samenevertheless; yet
- immaterialit's all the same to me
Word Origin for same
perhaps abstracted from Old English swa same "the same as," but more likely from Old Norse same, samr "same," both from Proto-Germanic *sama- "same" (cf. Old Saxon, Old High German, Gothic sama, Old High German samant, German samt "together, with," Gothic samana "together," Dutch zamelen "to collect," German zusammen "together"), from PIE *samos "same," from root *sem- (1) "one," also "as one" (adv.), "together with" (cf. Sanskrit samah "even, level, similar, identical;" Avestan hama "similar, the same;" Greek hama "together with, at the same time," homos "one and the same," homios "like, resembling," homalos "even;" Latin similis "like;" Old Irish samail "likeness;" Old Church Slavonic samu "himself").
Old English had lost the pure form of the word; the modern word replaced synonymous ilk. As a pronoun from c.1300. Colloquial phrase same here as an exclamation of agreement is from 1895. Same difference curious way to say "equal," is attested from 1945.
all the same
Also, all one. Equally acceptable, making no difference. For example, If it's all the same to you I'd prefer the blue car, or Hot or cold, it's all one to me. [Late 1700s]
Also, just the same. Nevertheless, still. For example, John wants to stay another week, but I'm going home all the same, or Even if you vote against it, this measure will pass just the same. [c. 1800]
In addition to the idioms beginning with same
- same difference
- same here
- same old story, the
- same to you
- all the same
- amount to the same thing
- at the same time
- by the same token
- cast in the same mold
- great minds (run in the same channel)
- in the same boat
- in the same breath
- in the same league
- one and the same
- on the same wavelength