- (Charles) Grant (Blair·fin·die) [blair-fin-dee] /blɛərˈfɪn di/, Cecil PowerJ. Arbuthnot Wilson, 1848–99, British philosophical writer and novelist.
- Ethan,1738–89, American soldier in the Revolutionary War: leader of the “Green Mountain Boys” of Vermont.
- FredJohn Florence Sullivan, 1894–1956, U.S. comedian.
- Frederick Lewis,1890–1954, U.S. historian and editor.
- GracieGrace Ethel Cecile Rosalie Allen, 1905–64, U.S. comedian (partner and wife of George Burns).
- Richard,1760–1831, U.S. clergyman: a founder of the African Methodist Episcopal Church.
- William,1532–1594, English Catholic cardinal in exile.
- (William) Her·vey [hur-vee] /ˈhɜr vi/, 1889–1949, U.S. novelist, poet, and biographer.
- WoodyAllen Stewart Konigsberg, born 1935, U.S. comedian, author, actor, and filmmaker.
- a male given name.
Examples from the Web for allen
Allen met every one of his arguments with a forceful counterargument.How Martin Luther King Jr. Influenced Sam Cooke’s ‘A Change Is Gonna Come’
December 28, 2014
“Of course he has no answer he is purely speculating,” Allen said.Florida Cops on What Ferguson Can Learn From Trayvon
November 20, 2014
There had been no question about his identity when his gang staged a jailbreak, killing the Allen County sheriff in the process.The Mystery Woman Who Tried to Outdo Dillinger
September 29, 2014
Klopfer told the South Bend Tribune after the Allen County Right to Life filed complaints with the Indiana Attorney General.Indiana’s Crazy Administrative Abortion Demands Have Doctors Racking Up the Violations
September 18, 2014
Allen worked closely with those tribal leaders during the counterinsurgency in Iraq in 2007 and 2008.Can Obama Keep His Generals in Check in the War Against ISIS?
Eli Lake, Josh Rogin
September 17, 2014
Allen was mounted on the major's charger, and was ordered to swim the river.A Sketch of the Life of Brig. Gen. Francis Marion
William Dobein James
Nor did he understand why Mrs. Allen had expected him, or why Jane should assume that he had hunted them up.Quaint Courtships
"Don't be a fool, Mansoor," said Allen, who evidently knew him.
Anthony's eyes and Allen's met; but I could not tell if they knew each other, nor could I ask then.
"This is one trick we have of doing our work quietly," said Allen.
- Bog of Allen a region of peat bogs in central Ireland, west of Dublin. Area: over 10 sq km (3.75 sq miles)
- Lough Allen a lake in Ireland, in county Leitrim
- Ethan. 1738–89, American soldier during the War of Independence who led the Green Mountain Boys of Vermont
- Lily (Rose Beatrice), born 1985, English pop singer; one of the first performers to come to prominence through exposure on the networking website MySpace rather than through record release
- Sir Thomas. born 1944, British operatic baritone
- Woody. real name Allen Stewart Konigsberg. born 1935, US film comedian, screenwriter, and director. His films as an actor and director include Annie Hall (1977), Manhattan (1979), Hannah and Her Sisters (1986), Bullets over Broadway (1994), and Vicky Cristina Barcelona (2008)
Word Origin and History for allen
masc. proper name, variant of Alan (q.v.). In reference to wrench, key, screw, etc. with hexagonal socket or head, 1913, from the Allen Manufacturing Company of Hartford, Connecticut, U.S.
- American anatomist who is noted for his studies of hormones and for the discovery (1923) of estrogen.