- any aloe of the species Aloe vera, the fleshy leaves of which yield a juice used as an emollient ingredient of skin lotions and for treating burns.
Origin of aloe vera
< New Latin: literally, true aloe
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a juice obtained from the leaves of a liliaceous plant, Aloe vera, used as an emollient in skin and hair preparations
- the juice of this plant, used in skin and hair preparations
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- A species of aloe (Aloe vera) native to the Mediterranean region.
- The mucilaginous juice or gel obtained from the leaves of this plant, used in pharmaceutical preparations for its soothing and healing properties.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.