- (of an animal) having the highest rank in a dominance hierarchy: the alpha female of an elephant pack.
- being the most dominant, powerful, or assertive person in a particular group.
Words nearby alpha
Origin of alpha
Examples from the Web for alpha
Alpha Team was killed, Faal told the FBI, while the Bravo members who were not gunned down fled.
The conspirators were split into two teams, “Alpha” and “Bravo.”
And when that happens, one “alpha dog” will run the show, usually the oldest, most experienced performer, who “knows more tricks.”
Former RSD instructor Nathan Kole says he saw firsthand how this “alpha male” marketing can damage students.
And from the start, with top-notch production values certainly upgraded from a “YouTube video,” Alpha House did.Inside the Political Fun House: How ‘Alpha House’ Became Amazon’s First Big Hit|Kevin Fallon|October 24, 2014|DAILY BEAST
They have for the sake of convenience been called the alpha, beta, and gamma rays.A Brief Account of Radio-activity|Francis Preston Venable
I'd say, an' so, first an' last, I'd get a sort o' alpha an' omega comfort out o' the passage about no givin' in marriage.Humorous Ghost Stories|Dorothy Scarborough
No reason why it should even go to Alpha Centauri at all, in fact.Collector's Item|Evelyn E. Smith
"Now we must make ready for Alpha," said Omega, even while thoughts of the sea-monster chilled his heart.Omega, the Man|Lowell Howard Morrow
This very street was the Alpha of her public life; the market place of Rouen its Omega!The Greater Love|George T. McCarthy
British Dictionary definitions for alpha (1 of 2)
- involving or relating to helium-4 nucleian alpha particle
- relating to one of two or more allotropes or crystal structures of a solidalpha iron
- relating to one of two or more isomeric forms of a chemical compound, esp one in which a group is attached to the carbon atom to which the principal group is attached