- a city in and the capital of Jordan, in the W part.
- Barbara Charline,1936–96, U.S. politician.
- David Starr [stahr] /stɑr/, 1851–1931, U.S. biologist and educator.
- June,1936–2002, U.S. poet, novelist, and essayist.
- Ma·rie En·ne·mond Ca·mille [ma-ree enuh-mawn ka-mee-yuh] /maˈri ɛnəˈmɔ̃ kaˈmi yə/, 1838–1922, French mathematician.
- Michael JeffreyAir JordanHis Airness, born 1963, U.S. basketball player.
- Official name Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan. a kingdom in SW Asia, consisting of the former Transjordan and a part of Palestine that, since 1967, has been occupied by Israel. 37,264 sq. mi. (96,514 sq. km). Capital: Amman.
- a river in SW Asia, flowing from S Lebanon through the Sea of Galilee, then S between Israel and Jordan through W Jordan into the Dead Sea. 200 miles (320 km) long.
- a male given name.
Examples from the Web for amman
Contemporary Examples of amman
“When I was younger I wanted to learn Hebrew,” 23-year-old Palestinian named Yamen told me recently in Amman, Jordan.Israel’s Murdered Teenagers and Dying Hopes for Peace
July 1, 2014
In Amman in the midst of the Iraq War, I had dinner one night with the great Palestinian poet Mahmoud Darwish.Only Iraq Can Save Itself From Chaos
June 26, 2014
In an effort to save his doomed mission, he hopped on a helicopter from Amman to Ramallah.John Kerry's Doomed Quest for Redemption
July 22, 2013
They must advocate for the very thing their photo ops in Amman implied, infrastructural integration and political interdependence.Israelis and Palestinians: Getting Down To Business
June 24, 2013
Longstanding Marine outreach efforts to tribal leaders, including in Amman, were finally paying off.Iraq War 10th Anniversary: What Does Fiasco Mean?
John Kael Weston
March 18, 2013
Historical Examples of amman
The good amman was delighted with the happy presages in his son.History of the Reformation in the Sixteenth Century, Vol 2
J. H. Merle D'Aubign
Various other editions in German followed, with cuts by Amman.The Grotesque in Church Art
T. Tindall Wildridge
"These Datu Amman islands aren't very big," Rick pointed out.The Pirates of Shan
Harold Leland Goodwin
Greetings, Colonel, it seems a long time since last we met in Amman.Border, Breed Nor Birth
Dallas McCord Reynolds
Those who returned from the raid on Amman were in a pitiable plight.With Our Army in Palestine
- the capital of Jordan, northeast of the Dead Sea: ancient capital of the Ammonites, rebuilt by Ptolemy in the 3rd century bc . Pop: 1 292 000 (2005 est)Ancient names: Rabbath Ammon, Philadelphia
- a kingdom in SW Asia: coextensive with the biblical Moab, Gilead, and Edom; made a League of Nations mandate and emirate under British control in 1922 and became an independent kingdom in 1946; territories west of the River Jordan and the Jordanian part of Jerusalem (intended to be part of an autonomous Palestine) were occupied by Israel after the war of 1967. It contains part of the Great Rift Valley and consists mostly of desert. Official language: Arabic. Official religion: (Sunni) Muslim. Currency: dinar. Capital: Amman. Pop: 6 482 081 (2013 est). Area: 89 185 sq km (34 434 sq miles)Official name: Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan Former name (1922–49): Trans-Jordan
- the chief and only perennial river of Israel and Jordan, rising in several headstreams in Syria and Lebanon, and flowing south through the Sea of Galilee to the Dead Sea: occupies the N end of the Great Rift Valley system and lies mostly below sea level. Length: over 320 km (200 miles)
- Michael (Jeffrey). born 1963, US basketball player
- Neil. born 1950, Irish film director and writer; his films include The Company of Wolves (1984), Mona Lisa (1986), The Crying Game (1992), Michael Collins (1996), The End of the Affair (2000), and The Brave One (2007)
Word Origin and History for amman
river in ancient Palestine; the crossing of it is symbolic of death in high-flown language as a reference to Num. xxxiii:51. The modern nation-state dates to 1921.