- belonging to, relating to, or involving England and India, especially as politically associated: Anglo-Indian treaties.
- of or relating to Anglo-Indians or their speech.
- a person of English and Indian ancestry.
- the speech of such persons, characterized by the Anglicizations of Indian words. Abbreviation: AInd
- a person of English birth or citizenship living in India.
Origin of Anglo-Indian
Examples from the Web for anglo-indian
Historical Examples of anglo-indian
The Anglo-Indian crushed the letter into his pocket, and looked up languidly.
"Merely because it suited my humour at the time to do so," answered the Anglo-Indian, coolly.
The Anglo-Indian troops however had purchased their victory dearly.
In the morning the Anglo-Indian widow sent for me to breakfast.My Reminiscences
I cannot trace the feeling to its root; perhaps the place was built by an Anglo-Indian.The Innocence of Father Brown
G. K. Chesterton
- of or relating to England and India
- denoting or relating to Anglo-Indians
- (of a word) introduced into English from an Indian language
- a person of mixed English and Indian descent
- an English person who lives or has lived for a long time in India