- of or relating to Annam, its people, or their language.
- a native of Annam.
- former name of the language Vietnamese.
Origin of Annamese
- of or relating to Vietnam or its inhabitants.
Origin of Vietnamese
Examples from the Web for annamite
Historical Examples of annamite
Champa now became for practical purposes an Annamite province and in 1318 the king fled to Java for refuge.
In an Annamite saga a certain king wished to build a town on a site he had fixed upon.
An Annamite legend relates that a woodcutter found some fairies bathing at a lovely fountain.
Most of the Chinese merchants are addicted to gambling, and to the use of opium; but the Annamite Christians are better conducted.
My Annamite was with me, and filled the office of interpreter, with a perfect tact which pleased the king.
- of or relating to Annam
- a former word for Vietnamese
- of, relating to, or characteristic of Vietnam, its people, or their language
- plural -ese a native or inhabitant of Vietnam
- the language of Vietnam, probably related to the Mon-Khmer languages