- an abnormally low amount of oxygen in the body tissues; hypoxia.
- the mental and physical disturbances that occur as a result of hypoxia.
Origin of anoxia
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- lack or absence of oxygen
- a deficiency of oxygen in tissues and organsCompare hypoxia
C20: from an- + ox (ygen) + -ia
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for anoxic
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- The absence or reduced supply of oxygen in inspired gases, arterial blood, or tissues.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.