- preventing, neutralizing, or counteracting acidity, as of the stomach.
- an antacid agent.
Origin of antacid
Examples from the Web for antacid
Historical Examples of antacid
As a medicine it is deobstruent and antacid, and is given in doses of 10 to 30 gr.Cooley's Practical Receipts, Volume II
Levigated coral was formerly used in medicine as an antacid or absorbent, and is still occasionally employed as a dentifrice.
Antacid, an alkali, or any remedy for acidity in the stomach.
This article acts on all classes of animals, as a laxative and antacid.The American Reformed Cattle Doctor
Any of these may be combined with antacid and antifermentative mixtures, relieving the colic, gaseous distension, and diarrhoea.
- a substance used to neutralize acidity, esp in the stomach
- having the properties of this substanceantacid tablets
- Counteracting or neutralizing acidity, especially of the stomach.
- A substance, such as sodium bicarbonate, that neutralizes acid.