[yoo r-uh-pee-uh n, yur-]
- of or relating to Europe or its inhabitants.
- native to or derived from Europe: traditional European customs; European languages.
- a native or inhabitant of Europe.
- a person of European descent.
- (in East Africa and Asia) a white person; Caucasian.
Origin of European
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for anti-european
Order could only be restored through the intervention of Arabi, who now adopted a more distinctly anti-European attitude.
Ireland is appropriated and used, not to the service of European interests but to the extension of anti-European interests.The Crime Against Europe
- opposed to the European Union or to political union of the countries of Europe
- a person who is opposed to the European Union or to political union of the countries of Europe
- of or relating to Europe or its inhabitants
- native to or derived from Europe
- a native or inhabitant of Europe
- a person of European descent
- a supporter of the European Union or of political union of the countries of Europe or a part of it
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for anti-european
c.1600, from French Européen, from Latin Europaeus, from Greek Europaios "European," from Europe (see Europe).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper