- expressive of or appealing to sentiment, especially the tender emotions and feelings, as love, pity, or nostalgia: a sentimental song.
- pertaining to or dependent on sentiment: We kept the old photograph for purely sentimental reasons.
- weakly emotional; mawkishly susceptible or tender: the sentimental Victorians.
- characterized by or showing sentiment or refined feeling.
Origin of sentimental
SynonymsSee more synonyms for sentimental on Thesaurus.com
1. romantic, tender, nostalgic; maudlin, bathetic.
1, 4. dispassionate.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for anti-sentimental
Yet he is modern, in the sense that he is intellectual and anti-sentimental, as compared with Albeniz.
Perhaps she had caught and unconsciously copied some of Wellgood's anti-sentimental attitude.Second String
- tending to indulge the emotions excessively
- making a direct appeal to the emotions, esp to romantic feelings
- relating to or characterized by sentiment
Word Origin and History for anti-sentimental
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper