- a particular personage or power, variously identified or explained, who is conceived of as appearing in the world as the principal antagonist of Christ.
- (sometimes lowercase) an opponent of Christ; a person or power antagonistic to Christ.
- (often lowercase) a disbeliever in Christ.
- (often lowercase) a false Christ.
Origin of Antichrist
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Words for antichristLucifer, demon, Mephistopheles, Antichrist, Beelzebub, archfiend, Apollyon
- New Testament the antagonist of Christ, expected by early Christians to appear and reign over the world until overthrown at Christ's Second Coming
- (sometimes not capital) an enemy of Christ or Christianity
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.