- unwilling or unable to associate in a normal or friendly way with other people: He's not antisocial, just shy.
- antagonistic, hostile, or unfriendly toward others; menacing; threatening: an antisocial act.
- opposed or detrimental to social order or the principles on which society is constituted: antisocial behavior.
- Psychiatry. of or relating to a pattern of behavior in which social norms and the rights of others are persistently violated.
- a person exhibiting antisocial traits.
Origin of antisocial
Synonyms for antisocialSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Antonyms for antisocial
Related Words for antisocialalienated, standoffish, introverted, ascetic, austere, cold, cynical, misanthropic, reclusive, remote, reserved, retiring, solitary, uncommunicative, unfriendly, unsociable, withdrawn, asocial
Examples from the Web for antisocial
Contemporary Examples of antisocial
He was said to have had “antisocial issues,” withdrawing and refusing to participate in class.We Already Know What Adam Lanza’s Real Motive Was at Sandy Hook
November 26, 2013
He had all his digits and limbs and, to my knowledge, had committed no antisocial acts with his legally obtained explosives.Who’s Safe With a Gun? Don’t Ask a Shrink
May 12, 2013
But when this witness began to act out in antisocial ways, his mother sent him off to foster care.Jerry Sandusky Trial, Day Four: ‘Was Mrs. Sandusky Home?’
June 15, 2012
Few of those who believe Hernandez is guilty will be surprised by a diagnosis of antisocial personality disorder.Is Pedro Hernandez, the Suspect in the Etan Patz Case, Mentally Ill?
June 12, 2012
Historical Examples of antisocial
Obviously, that sort of antisocial behavior can't be allowed.The Highest Treason
"We mustn't be antisocial, Mr. Funston," Miss Abercrombie said lightly, but firmly.A Filbert Is a Nut
The individual is assumed to be by nature an antisocial being.The Behavior of Crowds
Everett Dean Martin
Some apparent profits are due to antisocial or criminal acts.The Principles of Economics
Frank A. Fetter
All sorts of antisocial arts may be practised for his destruction.Comparative Religion
J. Estlin Carpenter
- avoiding the company of other people; unsociable
- contrary or injurious to the interests of society in general
- Behaving in a manner that violates the social or legal norms of society.