- an active volcano in the S Philippines, on S Mindanao: highest peak in the Philippines. 9690 feet (2954 meters).
- a prefix occurring originally in loanwords from Greek, where it was joined to verbs, deverbal forms, and other parts of speech. Among its functions in Greek, apo- has the spatial sense “away, off, apart” (apogee; apocope; apostasy; apostrophe); it occurs with deverbals that denote a response or defense (apodosis; apology) and is found on verbs having perfective force relative to a corresponding simple verb (apoplexy; aposiopesis). In modern scientific coinages in English and other languages, apo- marks things that are detached, separate, or derivative (apocarpous; apoenzyme).
Origin of apo-
- Army & Air Force Post Office.
Examples from the Web for apo
Historical Examples of apo
Their home is at the foot of the volcano of Apo (Davao, in Mindanao).
On arrival they had checked in at the Apo View Hotel and had lost no time in finding local constabulary headquarters.The Pirates of Shan
Harold Leland Goodwin
All kin of the same generation as his grandparents, great-grandparents, etc., are apo (grandparents).Ifugao Law
R. F. Burton
Nearly every evening, near sundown, I see a pair of wild pigeons homing toward the crest of Apo.
The dark crept swiftly up the slopes as if envious of the ruby crown set on Apo's forehead by the abdicating sun.
- the highest mountain in the Philippines, on SE Mindanao: active volcano with three peaks. Height: 2954 m (9690 ft)
- away from; offapogee
- indicating separation ofapocarpous
- indicating a lack or absence ofapogamy
- indicating derivation from or relationship toapomorphine
Word Origin for apo-
before vowels ap-, word-forming element meaning "from, away from, separate, free from," from Greek apo "from, away from; after; in descent from," in compounds, "from, asunder, away, off; finishing, completing; ceasing from; back again," from PIE root *apo- "off, away" (cf. Sanskrit apa "away from," Avestan apa "away from," Latin ab "away from, from," Gothic af, Old English of "away from").
- Away from; off:aponeurosis.
- Without; lacking; not:apoferritin.
- Related to; derived from:apomorphine.