a ring of color, as around the human nipple.
a small interstice, as between the fibers of connective tissue.
- a·re·o·lar, adjective
- a·re·o·late [uh-ree-uh-lit, -leyt], /əˈri ə lɪt, -ˌleɪt/, a·re·o·lat·ed [uh-ree-uh-ley-tid], /əˈri əˌleɪ tɪd/, adjective
- ar·e·o·la·tion [air-ee-uh-ley-shuhn], /ˌɛər i əˈleɪ ʃən/, noun
- mul·ti·a·re·o·late, adjective
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2023
How to use areola in a sentence
The areola, or part which becomes brown; it is elevated above the rest of the Breast, as may be seen.
British Dictionary definitions for areola
anatomy any small circular area, such as the pigmented ring around the human nipple or the inflamed area surrounding a pimple
- areolar or areolate (əˈrɪəlɪt, -ˌleɪt), adjective
- areolation (əˌrɪəˈleɪʃən), noun
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012