Origin of asexual
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for asexually
There is, however, one difference between beings produced sexually and asexually, which is very general.
Under such changed conditions a complex organism, if only asexually propagated, would become extinct.Darwinism (1889)
Alfred Russel Wallace
- having no apparent sex or sex organs
- (of reproduction) not involving the fusion of male and female gametes, as in vegetative reproduction, fission, or budding
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for asexually
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Having no evident sex or sex organs; sexless.
- Relating to, produced by, or involving reproduction that occurs without the union of male and female gametes, as in binary fission or budding.
- Lacking interest in or desire for sex.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.