- very: allegro assai (very quick).
Origin of assai1
- any of several slender Brazilian palms of the genus Euterpe, especially E. edulis, a species bearing a purple fruit from which a beverage is made by infusion.
Origin of assai2
Examples from the Web for assai
Historical Examples of assai
Caterina answered him by quoting the Cyprian proverb, "Assai dimanda che fidelmente serve."The Royal Pawn of Venice
Mrs. Lawrence Turnbull
Assai ben balla, chi fortuna suona—He dances well to whom fortune pipes.
Assai ricco chi non manca—He is rich enough who has no wants.
Assai guadagna chi vano sperar perde—He 25 gains a great deal who loses a vain hope.
Assai sa, chi non sa, se tacer sa—He who knows not, knows a good deal if he knows how to hold his tongue.
- music (usually preceded by a musical direction) veryallegro assai
Word Origin for assai
- any of several Brazilian palm trees of the genus Euterpe, esp E. edulis, that have small dark purple fleshy edible fruit
- a beverage made from the fruit of this tree