verb (used with object)
verb (used without object)
- Baseball.a play that helps to put out a batter or base runner.
- Basketball, Ice Hockey.a play that helps a teammate in gaining a goal.
- the official credit scored for such plays.
Origin of assist
Synonyms for assist
Antonyms for assist
- a pass or other action by a player which enables another player to score a goal
- a credit given for such an action
Word Origin for assist
early 15c., from Middle French assister "to stand by, help, put, place, assist" (14c.), from Latin assistere "stand by, take a stand near, attend," from ad- "to" (see ad-) + sistere "take a stand, cause to stand," from PIE *siste-, reduplicated form of root *sta- "to stand" (see stet). Related: Assisted; assisting. Medical assisted suicide attested from 1884.
1570s, "an act of assistance," from assist (v.). In the sporting sense attested 1877 in baseball, 1925 in ice hockey.